Rob spent the last month in California doing a rotation for medical school. He chose to go to California as one of his electives but that doesn’t mean we liked being apart from each other. We’re one of those crazy couples who do not like spending even one night away from each other. Before we moved to Illinois we had only spent maybe two nights apart. I know, I know, it’s a little silly but that’s just the way we are. Medical school has changed our number just a bit. With Rob studying all the time, spending nights at the hospital, out of state rotations, my little sisters graduation and me being the girls camp director and taking a few short vacations without him we’ve spent a few more nights away from each other. Actually it’s more nights than I can remember. Oh that’s so sad.
But it doesn’t matter how many nights we’ve spent apart, we still don’t like doing it. We would rather be together than apart. So this last month was a little rough on us. I held up to the challenge a little better than my hubby but I think it’s only because I was still home in my element with a routine to keep. I was still teaching seminary, working full time and running. Not to mention I had a lot of great friends to keep me entertained. Jason and Diana didn’t let me go one weekend without something to keep me busy. They sure are great friends.
Rob on the other hand didn’t have friends to keep him entertained, not that he had much time to worry about being entertained but he didn’t have a support group with him like I did. He also wasn’t in his element. He was staying with some medical residents from the hospital and he didn’t know any of them. He was out in Cali all by his lonesome. The rotation worked him to the bone and he was exhausted most nights and that just added to his mental exhaustion.
So when he hopped off the plane and stepped foot back on Illinois soil, it was a very sweet reunion. I was happy to have him home and he was very happy to be back. He thought it was funny that he would ever be so excited to be back in Illinois. He’s not a huge fan of this fantastic state we live in and yet here he was happy to be back to it. I’m pretty sure it wasn’t the state he was happy to be back to though. :-)
He's pretty dang cute so I think I had reason to miss him. :-)

3 comments:
Yeah!!! Rob's home! You survived Tiff!
I don't know him but I bet it had more to do with what was waiting for him in Illinois than the actual state. Glad you're back together in the same place and that you had fun pals to keep you company while your boy was away!
That would be so hard. I'm glad you survived!
Post a Comment