Monday, September 15, 2008

All Wet

Well I guess we're a little more than just wet, WE'RE SOGGY!!! Holy crap that was a lot of rain! The news said we would have scattered showers over the weekend but we had a little more than that. It started to drizzle Friday afternoon around 6-ish and the water works weren't shut off until Sunday afternoon.

I went over to Jason and Diana's house Saturday morning so we could go shopping and the water was already affecting their "driveway". The entrance to their apartment has two water retention ponds, one on either side of the entrance. When I showed up at 11-ish the ponds had already reached their maximum capacity and were spilling over into the road. It wasn't that deep. I was able to drive through it to collect my buddies so we could go spend the day together. However, when we returned to their humble abode the water had risen quite a bit. Some people had already used their brilliant minds and driven through the water that was blocking the entrance/exit to the complex. They were now trying to restart their cars after the water had risen above the desired level and choked their engines. We learned by their example and didn't dare drive through the now giant pond that covered the road. Luckily Jason and Diana's apartment is near the side of the complex so we parked on the road in the neighborhood next to the complex and just walked through the yard to get to their house. I did have to leave my car there though, so I drove Jason and Diana's car home. They were still able to come over and play with us that night because they have a Jeep. They were able to brave the lake that tried to block their way.
(This is the entrance/exit to the Bowler's place)

The clouds eventually plugged up their leaks and moved on their way but it sure left the Chicago-land area with something to remember. I heard on the news this morning that the amount of water we received, just on Saturday, was a record amount of water. And boy did that water leave something to remember!! Even after the water had stopped for the remaining of Sunday, by Monday morning there were still lots of roads closed, including portions of the interstates and their on-ramps, rivers overflowing, golf courses that are now waiting pools for the many geese that live in the vicinities, schools closed from being flooded, and many Chicagoans who are now trying to mop up the sogginess of their basements.

Other than our car being stranded in the parking lot of our friends apartment complex and us getting really wet whenever we had to run from the car to the indoors or from the indoors to the car, we weren't affected too bad by the rains.

I hope all of you who are dealing with the after math of the large amounts of rain are doing ok. I hope your basements dry out with minimal damage. And as for the port-a-potty we saw floating down the overflowing river, I hope it's retrieved. :-)

We're safe and I'm sure we'll dry out quickly. Lot’s of love from the soggy Chicagoans.

3 comments:

The Chicago Bowlers said...

We survived! Thanks for spending those soggy days with us!

Lindsay said...

It's probably a good thing you know how to swim!! :)

Leake's said...

I knew it rained in Chicago, but is Lake Michigan trying to enlarge? Glad your safe! Maybe for Christmas this year, you will get a boat.